Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Thanksgiving Day in The Advent Season


In a couple of days, Americans will celebrate Thanksgiving Day.  It is important to say that this is a national holiday in the US, because other countries have thanksgiving traditions calendared on other dates, some of them far removed from the American observance.

On the other hand, Advent is a season that Christians all around the world embrace.  Not all Christian groups have Advent customs.  And, Advent moves around the calendar a bit depending on denominational traditions.  The length of the season is one that we are examining ourselves this year.

And Advent and thanksgiving are not at odds with one another.  They can easily coexist in our lives and in our festal calendar.  But, BUT, Advent is the church’s festival.  Thanksgiving is a part of the secular calendar. Some folks are bothered that there is an Advent wreath on the church’s worship center rather than an ear of corn and a cornucopia.  I might feel a little differently if Thanksgiving started in the church.  But I can’t remember the last time I attended (or heard of) a worship service in a church on Thanksgiving Day.  When I was a young child several of the congregations in our neighborhood – including my church -- held a joint worship service at about 10:30 a.m. on Thanksgiving, but that has long ceased being the practice.  I have pastored congregations that held services on Wednesday evening, but those, too, have slipped away.  Let’s be honest, the day is a day for parades, football games, family reunions and feasting to the point of gluttony.  I like parades.  I like football. I like getting together with family.  I love to eat the traditional fare of the day.  But let’s don’t deceive ourselves into thinking that a slightly longer table grace makes the day a Day of thanksgiving.

Meanwhile, we are desperately trying to rehabilitate this time of year in the name of the Advent of the Christ.  I’m sticking with the Advent Wreath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Belated thoughts on Palm/Passion Sunday

Palm/Passion Sunday: I remember the first couple of times I heard that term.    It refers, of course, to the Sunday prior to Easter Day. It ...