Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Of action and reaction


In these pages I stay away from secular politics.  That is both a matter of personal preference and of professional survival.  I believe that a pastor is not only allowed to speak but is bound to talk about issues of justice and the common good.  But, to jump into issues of partisan politics is inappropriate at best.

But I would make the following observations to my friends who are currently members of The United Methodist Church.  Looking at the last fifteen or so years – the Trump, Obama, Bush and even Clinton administrations – have you absolutely agreed with every policy and action of our country?  Were there instances when you disagreed strongly with a given administration, on the left or on the right?  If so, how did you respond?  Did you leave the United States, renounce your citizenship and pledge your allegiance to some other flag?

If not, what is moving you to give up on our connection?  I know that the upcoming General Conference of February 2019 is addressing issues that push a lot of hot buttons.  But, is any resolution that may come about something over which you would leave your church? 

Church affiliation is not like razor blades.  It is not meant to be disposable.  Membership vows in this communion ask, “Will you be loyal to The United Methodist Church, and uphold it with your prayers, your presence, your gifts and your service (and, more recently, with your witness)?  Those who are in good standing in the church have unanimously answered “I will” at some point in their lives. 

No matter what General Conference 2019 does, how can Methodist people not show a little faith and a little patience and see how all this shakes out at General Conference 2020?  Is this how people live their lives?  Do they throw away or abandon everything with which they do not agree one hundred per cent?  I have my differences with the UMC and the way it sometimes does things.  I have a list as long as my leg.  But, in those times when I have been at odds with the church, I have never been tempted to take my jacks and go home.  I am not lifting myself up as an example or some paragon of virtue.  I am merely saying that I don’t get it. 

Our Confirmation Ritual says, “Dearly beloved, the church is of God and will endure until the end of time…”  I know that it is not particularly saying that The United Methodist Church will persist for eternity.  But I do so hope that this is not its death knell.

Lord, have mercy.  Christ, have mercy.  Lord, have mercy.

2 comments:

Belated thoughts on Palm/Passion Sunday

Palm/Passion Sunday: I remember the first couple of times I heard that term.    It refers, of course, to the Sunday prior to Easter Day. It ...