Tuesday, February 12, 2019

What a great day!


Today is a feast day of an entirely different sort.  It is not a High Holy Day in the religious calendar.  But it is a great day for some of us, nonetheless.  “I love you” are undoubtedly the most beautiful three words in our language.  But today is a day for celebrating a most wonderful four-word phrase:

Pitchers and catchers report.

It is the official opening day of Spring Training Camp (or spring training camp, depending on how you feel about it) in Jupiter, Florida for the St. Louis Cardinals.  Other clubs have their opening within three or four days either way of the Cardinals date.  The pitchers (needing a few days to get limber before even soft-tossing to hitters) show up first.  And, because they need someone to throw to, the catchers report early as well.  Before long, position players will check in.  Then, exhibition games and before long – Opening Day.

The thing is, every year along about the end of the season, I say, “I really invest too much emotion in this stuff.  I need to back off.  Next year, I will be much more the casual fan.”  And I convince myself of this through about the middle of December.  Then, every year without fail, the fires start to burn again.  This is especially true if my team has had a good Hot Stove Season (making trades and signing contracts with free-agents).  So, once Groundhog Day passes, I find myself waiting anxiously once again.  Today is the day.

Pitchers and catchers report!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Belated thoughts on Palm/Passion Sunday

Palm/Passion Sunday: I remember the first couple of times I heard that term.    It refers, of course, to the Sunday prior to Easter Day. It ...