Saturday, December 7, 2019

A new Wish Book


When I was a child, the time soon after Halloween brought a much-anticipated event.  One weekday afternoon in that stretch of time a flatbed truck would move slowly down our neighborhood street.  Some high school students would make their trips back and forth from the vehicle to the porches of all the homes.  They were delivering the most wondrous of publications, the Sears Christmas catalog – the “Wish Book!”  The front half of the catalog had clothes and appliances and seasonal trinkets.  But, from the index in the middle of the volume on to the back cover, there were toys.  There were toys of all sizes and prices.  Best of all, it was here that the NEW toys received their unveiling.  Treasures we did not even know existed awaited our desiring gaze.  It was a magical time.

As the years wear on, my emotions are still the same.  Oh, I don’t mean about toys (although I haven’t completely lost my appreciation for such).  I don’t even mean any of the other things that found their homes in that now-defunct catalog.  The stuff is not nearly so intriguing as it once was.  But I am still filled with desire in this season.  It is a desire that this may be the year that as a culture and as a Creation that we might turn the corner and pursue a different direction from the course we are collectively pursuing.  What we are doing to the planet, how we are approaching the plight of the poor, and even how we execute our faith has us headed down a slippery slope.  Maybe this year, maybe, we come to our collective senses and begin to desire more fully the ways of the Prince of Peace. 

That’s my wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Belated thoughts on Palm/Passion Sunday

Palm/Passion Sunday: I remember the first couple of times I heard that term.    It refers, of course, to the Sunday prior to Easter Day. It ...