Wednesday, March 20, 2019

A reflection on the epistle reading for the week


The epistle reading suggested by the New Revised Common Lectionary (NRCL) for the second Sunday in Lent is Philippians 3:17—4:1. That reading begins: Brothers and sisters, join in imitating me, and observe those who live according to the example you have in us.  In this pericope Paul uses a term that we don’t hear very often anymore.  That word is “example.” 

We see negative illustrations.  Poor paradigms of behavior dominate news reports in all media.  We find all kinds of samples of activity that we would do well to avoid.  But my question becomes, “Where are the role models?”

 I am not merely speaking of public figures whom we encourage children to imitate.  I wonder where are the positive examples, the exhibitors of outstanding character, after whom it is appropriate to model our own character?  It is difficult to describe something by what it is not.  It is challenging to speak of exemplary integrity by giving negative examples.  “Don’t be like this, or this, or this” doesn’t offer direction regarding what to pursue, only what to avoid.

Where is the figure about whom I can state, “I want to be like him/her?”  Where is the Paul of this age?  I don’t believe it is an unreasonable request.  Not only does a positive example encourage us, it also convinces us that “it can be done.”

Paul had no problems with personal insecurity.  He had a bit of an ego, and at times that gets in the way of our reading his letters.  But he walked the walk as well as talking the talk.  He reminds us of his hardships and abuses on a regular basis.  But the thing is, after the insults and beatings, he got up and continued his work exactly as before.

I have known people who encouraged me, either by their instruction or their actions.  But I don’t see so many of those folks lately.  I surely could use a role model in these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Belated thoughts on Palm/Passion Sunday

Palm/Passion Sunday: I remember the first couple of times I heard that term.    It refers, of course, to the Sunday prior to Easter Day. It ...