Monday, April 1, 2019

Bartholomew and the Oobleck


A few days ago, I was involved in a reading program at the local elementary school.  We were to bring our own books and take about 20 minutes to read.  I brought a favorite of mine from the days of my childhood, also a book that all of my children can probably recite by heart: it is Dr. Seuss’ Bartholomew and the Oobleck. It is not one of Seuss’ Red Fish, Blue Fish or Green Eggs and Ham-type works, where there is a sentence or two of end rhyme on each page.  It is a children’s book that the author published in 1949.

If you don’t know the story, it concerns a mythical king in a mythical kingdom who is dissatisfied with the ordinary rain, snow, fog and sleet that fall from the sky on a regular basis.  He wants something new.  So, he commissions his magicians to create something unique in the way of precipitation.  So, they make Oobleck.  It is a green, sticky goo that adheres to everything, immobilizing the kingdom.  It is when the king says, “I’m sorry,” that the stuff ceases to fall, and the mess clears up.

It is a children’s book.  It is fun.  It is colorful.  It is Dr. Seuss.  But it is also not a bad thought for the Lenten season.  “I’m sorry” is not the same as “I repent.”  But at the kid’s literature level it is awfully close.  Maybe if we start there, the path to repentance has more clarity as time moves on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Belated thoughts on Palm/Passion Sunday

Palm/Passion Sunday: I remember the first couple of times I heard that term.    It refers, of course, to the Sunday prior to Easter Day. It ...