Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Tuesday in Holy Week


The Revised Common Lectionary (RCL) obviously has readings for each Sunday of the year.  A little more obscure is the Lectionary’s readings for all the days in Holy Week.  The gospel suggestion for today is John 12:20-36.  It includes an interesting little fragment.  Verses 27-28 read, ‘Now my soul is troubled. And what should I say —“Father, save me from this hour”? No, it is for this reason that I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name.’ Then a voice came from heaven, ‘I have glorified it, and I will glorify it again.’

It is interesting in that it takes the form of Jesus praying, but it is in fact a speech.  It is one of several instances in which the Fourth Evangelist employs this literary device.  Even with there being a “voice from heaven” in response to Jesus’ words, the initial words are addressed to the bystanders, not to God.

In point of fact John’s gospel does not report the content of any of Jesus’ prayers.  It sounds a little peculiar, but every time the narrative places Jesus in a prayer context, what follows is a speech or teaching discourse.  Even Jesus’ High Priestly Prayer in chapter 17 is really an address that encourages Jesus’ disciples (both in his context and those future disciples who read the text) to maintain their faith.

The takeaway?  I guess it is, “things are not always what they seem.”  Even in scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Belated thoughts on Palm/Passion Sunday

Palm/Passion Sunday: I remember the first couple of times I heard that term.    It refers, of course, to the Sunday prior to Easter Day. It ...