Thursday, April 11, 2019

The first photo of a Black Hole


The opening of the video says it all.  The narrative opens with several motion-picture and animation representations of black holes.  Then it says, “These are now science fiction.”  They have taken a picture of a black hole.

Wow!

I remember the first time I ever heard of the phenomenon.  When the description got to the part where it said, “a black hole is so dense, and its gravity is so strong not even light can escape it.”  I thought at the time, “Now, THAT’S science fiction.” 

I am not a physicist.  I am not an astronomer beyond what I occasionally see through a pair of field glasses.  But I have always had a casual interest in black holes.  What little more I would learn would only increase my fascination.  And now, they’ve snapped a picture.  I say “they.” It is an array of telescopes that spans the globe and that bears the collective name The Event Horizon Telescope that has done the heavy lifting here.

I’m looking forward to more info.

And more photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Belated thoughts on Palm/Passion Sunday

Palm/Passion Sunday: I remember the first couple of times I heard that term.    It refers, of course, to the Sunday prior to Easter Day. It ...