Tuesday, May 7, 2019

The Name Game


I have been thinking about John 21:1-19, which is the gospel reading for the week according to the Revised Common Lectionary.  As I have noted, this reading is chock-full of significant items both great and small.  There are the teachings that are grand in scope.  But there are also little nuggets that are worth our consideration as well.

One such piece of material is in the exchange between Jesus and Simon Peter in verses 15-17.  Three times Jesus asks this disciple, “Do you love me?”  And three times this disciple responds in the affirmative.  After each of the disciple’s responses Jesus gives a piece of direction: ‘Feed my lambs.’ ‘Tend my sheep.’ ‘Feed my sheep.'

Obviously, there is a lot in play here.  Historically the church has interpreted Jesus' three-fold questioning as being a response to Simon Peter’s three denials of Jesus during the time of Jesus’ arrest.  The church has also looked to this passage – and others – to find out about Simon Peter’s role in the organization of the early church. 

But there is a little something else there, and I emphasize “little.”  But I don’t mistake little for insignificant.

In each instance, Jesus' inquiry is, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?  Part of what interests me here is not the inquiry, but the address.  The narrator tells us, When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter…  Throughout the narrative the storyteller refers to this disciple as “Simon Peter.”  Yet Jesus himself begins each question, “Simon, son of John.”  I don’t think that is an accident.  Nor do I refer to it as being without meaning.

In chapter 1 verse 42, when Jesus and Simon first meet, Jesus says, ‘You are Simon son of John. You are to be called Cephas’ (which is translated Peter).  Yet here Jesus refers to Peter by his former name.  Everyone knows Simon, John’s son.  Jesus gives him a new name.  Such a thing always reflects a major transition in scripture.  Abram become Abraham.  Sarai becomes Sarah.  Jacob became Israel.  Later, Saul of Tarsus will become the apostle Paul.  The change of name mirrors a transition in role or significance.

And Simon came to be known as Peter.  The writer of the Fourth Gospel refers to the apostle usually, but not exclusively, as Simon Peter, although he occasionally just uses Peter as the name.  "Simon” is not a reference that this writer uses.  But here, here Jesus asks, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?”  I think that the address is as much a challenge as the question.  It is as if Jesus is saying, “Simon, when I met you, I gave you a new name.  It bespoke of your place as my disciple, my apostle, my witness in the world and as one who would speak with my authority once I departed.  So, Simon, are you worthy of that new name.  Will you be Peter?  Will you be the rock upon which I establish my church?”  The thrice-asked question and a triad of addresses are really saying the same thing: “Simon, do you love me so that you can be my rock?  Will you take up again the mantle of Peter that you have cast aside?  Will you leave behind the fish and truly fish for people?”

When Simon says, “Yes,” he is really affirming both.  He is saying, “I will feed, tend, feed."  

"And I will be Peter.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

Belated thoughts on Palm/Passion Sunday

Palm/Passion Sunday: I remember the first couple of times I heard that term.    It refers, of course, to the Sunday prior to Easter Day. It ...