Wednesday, May 8, 2019

What's on YOUR wall?

Offer Them Christ
by Kenneth Wyatt

The walls in pastors’ studies tend to have a certain sameness about them.  There is a wall or two of bookshelves (these may house books, or may simply be a resting place for religious knickknacks that the individual has accumulated over the years), there may be a family portrait or two, there are other reminders of the life of ministry such as plaques given in appreciation.  There is what one friend of mine calls the “works righteousness” wall where you find diplomas, ordination parchments and other ministerial credentialing documents.  There is also usually one item that has a great personal meaning to the clergyperson.

This is mine.  It is Kenneth Wyatt’s vision of John Wesley dispatching Thomas Coke to America to oversee the Methodist churches there.  The title comes from Wesley’s words of departure to Coke: “Offer them Christ.”  I label this as the item of great personal meaning for me not because of a particular fondness for Wesley (although I do possess that) or Coke.  Nor is it a because of any romanticized notion or identification with the concept of commissioning.  This picture pulls me back to the basics of ministry: Offer them Christ.

There are other very important aspects of the work of a United Methodist minister.  I am coming up on the start of my 46th year of doing this work.  I have undertaken the tasks of preaching, teaching, administration, pastoral care and a dozen other tasks that we associate with being a person of The Cloth.  I am the first to admit that the busy-ness of the job can distract or even bog down even the most conscientious of persons.  So, this portrait draws me back to the basics of my call: Offer them Christ.  The Book of Discipline of The United Methodist Church states that “The mission of the church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.”  (¶ 120)

The painting is a reminder to me that if I am not carrying out the Great Commission of Matthew 28:19 that all the rest is just noise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Belated thoughts on Palm/Passion Sunday

Palm/Passion Sunday: I remember the first couple of times I heard that term.    It refers, of course, to the Sunday prior to Easter Day. It ...